Terra-Petra Environmental Engineering is pleased to have been contracted to provide environmental engineering services for the design of the vapor intrusion mitigation system (VIMS) for a development in Irvine, CA.
The proposed development will consist of a new slab on grade tilt-up warehouse building having an approximate 140,000 SF footprint. Our client is electing to design, on our recommendation, a combination sub-slab membrane and passive venting system with the ability to convert to active if deemed necessary.
What makes this project unique is that the impacted soil contributing to the vapor intrusion issues at the site will be remediated and removed from the site by the seller of the property. Confirmation sampling and a subsequent Health Risk Assessment will not be completed until after the new buyer takes ownership of the property. The design for the new building is currently underway and the developer does not have time to wait for a VIMS design to be started after the confirmation sampling is completed due to the expedited construction schedule. As such, Terra-Petra is designing a system that will meet the design schedule and can be scaled up or down depending on the Health Risk Assessment that is completed.
Terra-Petra’s responsiveness and flexibility to meet to our client’s unorthodox requirements sets us apart from our competitors.
A typical Building Protection Systems consists of an impermeable soil vapor membrane and a pressure relief system. Where deemed appropriate, Terra-Petra can design mechanical vapor extraction systems, electronic gas detection and alarm systems; employing the latest technologies.
Terra-Petra can design a system for you. We routinely design these passive and active Vapor Intrustion Mitigation Systems across numerous cities and counties governed by many different agencies.
Among our many capabilities, Terra-Petra offers:
- A Civil Engineer, Registered Environmental Assessor, Registered Geologist and Certified Engineering Geologist on staff.
- Years of experience designing code compliant Building Protection Systems for numerous governing agencies.
- Easy to read comprehensive plans including project specific details and specifications.
- Passive and Active Design Capabilities.
- Plan coordination with project Architect, Civil, Structural, Plumbing, HVAC as well as the Landscape Architect.
- CAD Draftsmen on staff carry an Associates of Science Degree in Computer Aided Drafting Technology and Certificates in Architecture and Design for Drafting.