The Small Business Enterprise or SBE is a company-level diversity certification. Non-industry specific, it is issued by a local or state government. Terra-Petra’s SBE certification is issued by the State of California.
Eligibility for certification as a Small Business Enterprise varies depending on the issuer. Requirements include the number of employees, the length of time the company has been in business, and the net worth of the company’s owner.
In order for a small business to be eligible for certification, the small business must meet the following requirements in California:
- Be independently owned and operated
- Not dominant in the field of operation
- The principal office must be located in California
- Owners (officers, if a corporation) domiciled in California
- A business with 100 or fewer employees; an average annual gross receipt of $15 million or less, over the last three tax years.
- A small business will automatically be designated as a microbusiness if gross annual receipts are less than $3,500,000, or the small business is a manufacturer with 25 or fewer employees.
Upon meeting the Small Business Certification eligibility requirements, certified small business (SBs) and microbusinesses (MBs) are entitled to the following benefits:
- A five percent (5%) bid preference on applicable State solicitations.
- Certified small business/microbusinesses are eligible for the State’s Small Business Participation Program. This program sets a goal for the use of small businesses in at least 25% of the State’s overall annual contract dollars.
- Under the Prompt Payment Act, the State must pay a certified SB / MB higher interest penalty for late payment of an undisputed invoice. Prompt payment penalties for construction firms are addressed separately under Public Contract Code, Section 10261.5.
- State agencies may use a streamlined process, known as the SB/DVBE Option, by contracting directly with a California-certified small business/microbusiness for goods, services, information technology, and Public Works projects. The solicitation must be valued at more than $5,000 and the State agency must obtain price quotes from at least two California-certified small business/microbusiness.
- The DGS-PD charges state and local agencies an administrative fee when contracting with a California Multiple Award Schedules (CMAS) vendor. As an incentive, the fee is waived, if the CMAS vendor is a certified small business/microbusiness.
Terra-Petra has been in the environmental engineering industry for over 20 years, with many successful projects to lean on. The company started its operations focusing on the Los Angeles market to address the local “methane concerns” which quickly became a big issue. Our in-house experts were a big part of the team that developed the local Los Angeles Methane Code.
Terra-Petra continues to maintain a working knowledge of numerous environmental and soil gas mitigation matters. Our staff now also includes Methane Consultants, Radon Mitigation Engineers, Construction Managers, Civil Engineers, Registered Environmental Assessors, Registered Geologist/Certified Engineering Geologist, Petroleum Geologists, and Petroleum Engineers. This experience gives Terra-Petra the ability to find compromise solutions for any environmental concern that may arise.
In order to meet client demands, Terra-Petra took the position of being an industry leader by developing creative solutions to fit the variety of conditions the states they serve are faced with. Developing innovative solutions meant working with key suppliers, and contractors, as well as leveraging relationships within the respective agency involved. Terra-Petra’s innovative solutions have included the introduction of new materials into the market, as well as new system installation methods.
The Terra-Petra team enters every project with a “safety first” mindset and philosophy. Having undergone extensive safety training programs to include the 40-hour Hazardous Waste Emergency Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training, we are proud to say that we work with zero injuries in the field.
Terra-Petra’s Management Philosophy approach is very simple: “Make every client’s life easier.”
Terra-Petra offers on-call consulting services in the City of Los Angeles and throughout California. We are available to do the work or make official visits at any time as needed.
Contact us today to arrange for a time to meet with our management team: 1.888.540.5703 or email@example.com.